Hey there! If you’re new to sewing and looking to buy a sewing machine, it can be overwhelming to know where to start. I was completely overwhelmed when I started by the brands, features, and types of sewing machines, coverstitch who?
I’ll help you determine the best sewing machine to get with where you are in your sewing journey, the main features to look for in a sewing machine, and my favorite, recommended tools every sewer should have.
In this post, I’ll guide you through the process of choosing the best sewing machine for your needs.
Types of sewing machines
First, let’s talk about the different types of sewing machines. There are three main types: mechanical, electronic, and computerized.
- Mechanical machines are the most basic and require you to manually adjust the settings.
- Electronic machines are similar to mechanical machines, but they have a few more automated features, like a speed controller.
- Computerized machines are the most advanced and have many automated features and digital controls. Computerized machines are great for sewers who want to create complex designs and patterns.
Main factors of choosing your sewing machine
When choosing a sewing machine, there are a few important factors to consider:
- Your skill level: If you’re new to sewing, it’s best to start with a basic machine. Mechanical or electronic machines are good options. If you’re more experienced, you may want to consider a computerized machine.
- Your budget: Sewing machines can range from $100 to $10,000. It’s important to choose a machine that fits your budget. Remember, a more expensive machine doesn’t necessarily mean it’s better for you.
- Your sewing needs: Consider what types of projects you’ll be using the machine for. If you’re planning on making clothes, you’ll want a machine with a variety of stitches. If you’re planning on quilting, you’ll want a machine with a large throat space.
- Available space: Make sure you have enough space for your sewing machine. Some machines can be quite large and take up a lot of space.
Essential features you need in your sewing machine
Now, let’s talk about some of the features to look for in a sewing machine:
- Stitch options: Look for a machine with a variety of stitch options, such as straight stitch, zig zag, edge stitch. This will give you more flexibility and allow you to create a wider range of designs.
- Needle positions: A machine with multiple needle positions will allow you to sew different types of fabric more easily and finish your clothes/projects.
- Bobbin and needle system: Look for a machine with a system that is easy to use and easy to maintain such as a top-loading bobbin.
- Feed dog adjustment: A machine with adjustable feed dogs will allow you to sew a wider range of fabrics from chiffon to denim.
- Buttonhole options: If you plan on making clothes, a machine with automatic buttonhole options will make the process much easier.
- Automatic needle threader: This feature will save you time and frustration when threading the needle.
- Adjustable presser foot pressure: This feature will allow you to adjust the pressure on the fabric, making it easier to sew thicker or thinner fabrics.
- Adjustable thread tension: A machine with adjustable thread tension will allow you to sew a wider range of fabrics with ease and adjust according to the thread you are using.
My recommended tools
In addition to these features, there are some accessories that can be helpful for sewing projects. These include:
- Extra bobbins and needles: It’s always a good idea to have extras on hand so you don’t have to run to the store when a needle breaks or you want to use more than one color thread.
- Scissors: A good pair of fabric scissors will make cutting fabric much easier.
- Seam ripper: This tool will come in handy if you make a mistake and need to remove stitches.
- Ruler: A ruler will help you measure fabric accurately.
- Pins and pincushion: These will come in handy for holding fabric in place.
When choosing a sewing machine, it’s important to do your research and read customer reviews. Look for a machine that has good reviews and is made by a reputable brand. Remember, a sewing machine is an investment, so take your time and choose one that is right for you.
In conclusion, choosing the best sewing machine for your needs can be a daunting task, but by considering your skill level, budget, sewing needs, available space, and the features and accessories you want, you can make an informed decision. Remember, the best sewing machine for you is the one that meets your specific needs and helps you create the projects you love. Happy sewing!